I recently decided to purchase a United Club lounge annual pass. Instead of using American currency, I used miles. The cost was high but I do believe it is worth it, because ever since I bought the membership, I have had less problems.
The United Club lounge is officially described as such:
A rest from the day's travels awaits you at these renowned clubs in airports worldwide.
Relax with a drink and a snack. Connect with your office in a quiet atmosphere. Or simply escape the hustle of the airport before your next flight. Discover why our most frequent travelers choose United ClubSM as their oasis.
San Francisco domestic club lobby
Features and privileges
• Comfortable lounges centrally located in our busiest airports
• Personalized travel assistance
• Complimentary Wi-Fi service in all locations
• Complimentary beer
• Complimentary selection of wine and spirits
• Complimentary soft drinks, juices, coffee, tea and cappuccino
• Complimentary breakfast and afternoon snacks
• Power outlets for laptop computers
• Morning newspapers, periodicals and magazines
• Conference rooms available in many U.S. locations for a nominal fee
• Club access for guests traveling with club members
• Reciprocal club privileges provide access worldwide to the following lounges:
• All US Airways Club locations• All Star Alliance® member-operated lounges worldwide. United Club members may access Star Alliance member-operated airline lounges with up to one guest when departing on a same-day flight on any Star Alliance carrier.
• Competitive membership prices, with special discounts for Mileage Plus® elite members
If I want to work, I can sit at a desk with a lamp and a power plug and work while I watch the airplanes precariously land at LaGuardia.
10 minutes before my flight is to board, I simply exit the lounge, stroll over to the boarding area, get in line (since 1Ks get to board first), and enjoy my dearth or problems.