Monday, December 6, 2010

One day before


I remember the night before I was to fly to France on a class trip in high school, I saw this horrible movie called Final Destination... I think it was called that... anyway, the movie was about a high school french class taking a class trip to France, and the airplane they were supposed to be on ultra-exploded™.

AWESOME. That put me a great mood to hop onto the 10 hour flight to Charles de Gaul.

Well, I suppose you could say something similar happened today. Tomorrow, I leave on a Continental flight to Orlando, and this morning I see this article:

Continental 'responsible' for Concorde crash in 2000


A Paris court has said Continental Airlines was "criminally responsible" for the crash of a Concorde supersonic jet 10 years ago, and fined it 200,000 euros (£170,000).

It has also been ordered to pay 1m euros to the jet's operator Air France.

A Continental mechanic, John Taylor, was given a 15-month suspended prison sentence over the crash.

Continental has said it will appeal, saying the verdict is "absurd" and "only protects French interests".


Ok, so its not really the same thing. And statistically speaking I can tell you with more certainty that my flight tomorrow will not crash than I could that tomorrow I would not drop dead of a heart attack. Tens of thousands of flights take off and land safely every day. Everyone knows that flying is statistically the safest way to travel. Yet, I still can imagine that this finding by the French will affect, perhaps in a small way, Continental flyership. At least for 2011. I know that I feel a tinge of regret booking Continental, even though I had no other choice, and even though I am incredibly brilliant and have glorious logical prowess. That is how strong the power of blame is.

Reading this article, and putting together the little bit of information I have, I would have to agree with Continental's statements. It is a bit odd that a French court, in France, regarding an accident by a French airline... would blame Americans somehow. One of France's favorite pastimes is bashing Americans. Believe me, I know, I've lived there.

It will be interesting to see where the appeals go. It will also not be interesting to see how Continental fares tomorrow and for the rest of the year with ticket sales. I mean, hooey, this could bolster Continental's ticket sales by Americans wanting to stick it to the French!

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment