Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday Flight Memories: Episode 3

Sit back, relax, close your eyes and read the following blog post (keep your eyes closed while you read... if you can do that, you win). Imagine falling far, far down the time hole, and emerging in a world where gold and platinum coins lace every surface, and are free for the taking. When the United States had a surplus of money dollars, and they just gave you some whenever you wanted. Now, imagine you are a business traveler, you've made Premier Executive status on United Airlines! Congratulations, here is a one year lease to a BMW.

Well, those days are over, but we can certainly sit in our economically more reasonable 2010 apartments and reminisce about what it used to be like to fly in the 90's.

In 1989, my family and I took a trip to England. The flight from SFO to Heathrow is a little over 10 hours, so you can imagine that taking children on a flight that long is not desirable. Especially ultra-awesome (or ultrawesome™) children such as myself. Well, what was great about Virgin Atlantic at that time was the way they treated Economy. They gave my brother and I each a backpack full of toys, coloring books, awesome stickers, and other items that I can't remember. AND all the seats had televisions in them with 6 distinct channels to watch! This is 1989 people! And of course, free meals... but you knew that.

I remember the flight being long, but I also remember that the ability to watch cartoons the whole time really kept my stress levels down. I applaud Virgin Atlantic for making such a good first impression on me in the late '80s early 90's (we flew back from England in the year 1990 since we had stayed for Christmas and New years).

Truthfully, I haven't flow Virgin Atlantic since, but I've checked out their record store... they have a nice selection of Jackie Chan movies... A+

But perhaps the airlines really isn't meant for kids, I mean, look at this ad:

No comments:

Post a Comment